Sunday, March 10, 2024

Character/Costume Color Schemes

 Hey hey hey!!


Half asleep by now, but going strong😁😁😁 (can you tell I just found out that emojis can be added in blogs)


Today, or tomorrow (I happen to be writing this way too late in the night than normal), I will be talking about the color schemes or even auras I want my characters to radiate (may it be through their costuming or their personality, if that makes sense) and examples of what I mean. 


Most recently, an example of color schemes in costuming hinting at the personality and even their outcome is (drumroll please...) in Encanto. I will not put Encanto down, as I have mentioned in a previous blog post, it made me very much represented and I generally think Disney did an outstanding, phenomenal, unforgettable job with it (can you tell that I love it??). Setting my adoration for Encanto aside, if you didn't watch the movie, there's a very large cast, all with different attitudes and personalities, so, to distinguish them, and really to tell them apart, they all had different, yet similar color schemes.

(Source: Encanto Wiki)

If you see here, we've got Abuela (grandma) and Abuelo (grandpa) with their own very different color schemes, with their children then owning their own color but tracing back to their parents. On the left side, we have a more yellow color palette, as the daughter of Abuela, and her family all have bright and spontaneous personalities. The son of Abuela, Bruno (we are going to talk about him now), is rather neutral and even, faded out compared to his sisters (viewers of the film may know why). His sister, right next to him, is a more conservative and rich blue. Through the movie, we see that she and her family happen to be more closed-off, correct, and by-the-book individuals. This personality contrast, which we obviously could tell throughout the film, could also have been predicted if we were to think about it!! Because of this realization, I have found myself constantly overanalyzing costumes and make-up which I find really interesting!!


As for my own characters in my opening, I will really only emphasize costuming on 2 out of 3 characters, as the third will be behind a camera and rather the "bystander," neutral person. In my piece, I want to also sort of do what Encanto did in the sense that I want both of them, to give off drastically different energies. Black and white, or any two colors against each other on the color wheel is what I'd want. 

(Source: Pinterest)


This is my first point of reference. I would want my protagonist to wear very airy and light-colored clothes, to emphasize her youth, naïveté, etc etc. I would aim for mainly white and pink to really hit hard on the naïveté and girliness of our protagonist, but I will have to check the costume department!!


For my antagonist, I would even go as far as doing the colors in the bottom row, but much richer and darker. My protagonist would be light and airy, so when the antagonist walks in with the rich and dark blue or black costuming, audiences can be alarmed and a change in tone can be more emphasized. 


Planning this has allowed me to visualize and set more of an idea of what to see that I can work with and how important it is for costuming to also tell a story!!



Sorry for this sudden break-off, it's me, not you.

Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 Well... Here's my film opening, "Where'd She Go"!!!! YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/mjLsISQ4VSk Google Drive link:  http...