Sunday, March 3, 2024

Storyboards…

 Hey hey hey!!!


I’ve got to confess. I’ve honestly been dreading my storyboard.


But here’s the thing. I am generally just super nervous about this project as it is my very first project where I write, direct, produce, and everything, and I also happen to be a terrible artist. Why would my artistic capabalities be topic of conversation today? I will be running down on what are storyboards and ways I can make them that don’t require my artistic abilities (I hope). As I’ve just confessed, I am a newbie, dummy, you name it, so I feel that I need to answer a couple of my own answers with a bit of ‘search, as well, an extra research post won’t do me harm!!


Let’s get into the art of storyboarding!!


Storyboarding is basically setting out the visual elements of a project on paper. This magical paper consists of sequential images, scene by scene, that add up to the final project. This process allows for clarity in the vision of the creator, while also allowing for a creator to revise, check, erase (a lot), or add more elements that may transcend the piece. To my surprise, storyboards can be used from anything to a 15-30 second commerical, to big films (I can’t even image how long and extensive that process may be).


Storyboarding, as one would get the hint of, is part of the pre-production process. It can be done old-school, with paper and pencil, or online even through apps like Canva


Next, one draws out the “scenes” or frames. During this time it would be great to take into consideration the average 16:9 ratio of a camera and basically know what you’re working with.

                                                                    (Source : Studiobinder)


Through my research, I have come to realize that artistic abilities are not required for a storyboard, as the primary idea is to “Scamp,” or bring one’s ideas into a visual element. What is highly important is to clearly convery your ideas, so when your in production, you’re not scramming to translate what in the world you drew time before. Buuuuut, what is really cool about storyboarding, is that there are pros in the industry that make a living out of it!! Real artists making real-life and cool storyboards, check this video about a Pixar storyboard artist named Christian Roman and what he does!



Some things to consider about storyboarding are concepts such as color schemes, continuity, and switching it up a bit. During this time, when putting your thoughts on paper, you’ll realize how maybe it looks good up in the brain and not on thoughts. You’ll also see how you may lack and need to add technicalities, such as the ones previously mentioned, making storyboarding great (and possibly stressful).


Overall, from what I have researched, its perfectly fine and rather preferrable to keep things as simple and straightforward as possible. My respects go out to storyboard artists (even though they probably love what they do) because it truly is an art, even besides me speaking from the point of view of a really bad artist. 


Well… Goodnight!!



Sources: 

How to storyboard: Step-by-step storyboarding guide (2024): Boords. boords.com. (2023, December 11). https://boords.com/how-to-storyboard# 

StudioBinder. (2021, August 13). The Definitive Guide to Aspect Ratios. https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/aspect-ratio/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 Well... Here's my film opening, "Where'd She Go"!!!! YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/mjLsISQ4VSk Google Drive link:  http...