Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Screenplay, what are you?

 Hey hey hey!!


Today in class, we talked about screenplays, what in the world they are, and how to create one. If I am being quite honest, I had just a sketch in my brain of what it was, as I do love watching those side-by-side videos on my social media that show the screenplay and the actor, well, in action. Here’s two examples of probably the best films done in recent years. Besides the many awards both movies have under their belt, proving their greatness, something I did notice about both (something I really love), is the intense emotion in both of them apart from the context, brought by the dialogue. Although dialogue is not something very necessary to convey a story or even a simple emotion, these two scenes prove anyone otherwise. These videos allowed for me to connect what was going on in the screenplay to the scene, to further understand how and why screenplays are set up, as well as the final product, allowing me to look at what is sought out in one so that I know what to include or not in my own.

A key to any piece is proper organization, and a GREAT screenplay, in which I plan to master, but until I reach my final destination, I do have to pump the breaks and research a bit first.


                                                                               

Quentin Tarantino, Woody Allen, and Billy Wilder have become masters at their work, writing screenplays. Masters like these, in my personal opinion, make up a great amount of the success behind the blockbusters under their wing. Screenplays, and any sort of writing really, are the backbone/spine holding up a film to its potential, making it highly important for me as a creator, to research it a bit and look into the nooks of the concept to perfect my own screenplay to its full potential (within what is in my ability of course).

Screenplays happen to be known as the “blueprint” or backbone, as I mentioned, of a film. This means that it can contain lines, characters, setting, instructions and generally a bunch of headings to specify the rest. The reason why screenplays are a thing, more or less, is to provide instruction of the creative idea of a piece to those acting or behind cameras, to essentially have everything run smoothly. 


                                                   (Credit: Studiobinder.com)

If you weren’t able to tell, this is what a screenplay looks like. It contains everything in the right places (see how some are centered and some are not), to make it easy for the eyes of actors or the team to reach to where they need to go in the midst of what sometimes can be a chaotic place, such as a set. 

I plan on creating my own within these days to start going on my project. The video, as well as this investigation into the formatting has allowed me to feel more comfortable in what it is and to ease my eyes, as first I thought it was chaotic when it actually wasn’t. This research calmed me down and allowed me to know what is necessary and what building blocks I will need to build this up.


Here is the great article I found great info from!:


Toodles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 Well... Here's my film opening, "Where'd She Go"!!!! YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/mjLsISQ4VSk Google Drive link:  http...