Thursday, February 15, 2024

Let’s talk about color schemes/lighting/tone (or just everything)

 Hey Hey Hey!! Did you miss me?


Today I will be talking about color schemes. As for my film opening, the idea I have now is a story about a young girl that gets unalived (making it PG) (we won’t see how though so you can take that off your list of concerns), and a “harsh” transition to a investigator’s office or space. I really do want to emphasize that hard shift in tone, as I will first start out with a bright, young, and well-spirited girl and move onto a table with evidence correlating to her unaliving case. I am still working on some possible “in-between” shots to fluff up and add a little bit of grip to the introduction, but that mystery and vagueness is what would probably make me personally continue to watch the film and search for answers.


A way I can show a shift in tone is through color. With the help of bright lighting of course, I would want to show my subject under a bright lighting, as well as with possibly white clothes to represent her youthful spirit, innocence, and naiveté. An example of that light and airy concept I want to reach (I would adjust the costuming), is Avicii’s music video for “Wake Me Up



I love the technique about this music video because it tends to “shed light” on these girls, as well as the costuming manages to finish the job of establishing that purity and “small town girl” energy they have. Later on in the video, we see how the older girl (in the picture) wears darker clothes and is caught up in a music festival, demonstrating a strong shift in tone and her persona. My film opening would be inspired in that contrast as in the (hopefully next scene), audiences will able to see an evidence board like the one below.


I plan on setting down this board on a black table, with a bright (almost hospital-y) light (with the purpose of using lighting as a shift in tone as well), a right after the sequence of ethreal type shots of the young and bright subject to roughly build a wall and impact in the film opening. The shift from white to black has been used, even outside of film, to establish the good vs evil, positive vs negative etc. etc. If in any case I would want to add in the possible suspect, whether it be through the photo and then in an actual shot, I could have them wearing gray to also establish their connection between the white (young girl) and the black (death, crime). 


With this being said, and what was said in the blog post after this, it is highly valuable to have actions, and even colors speak for the story in my story. The contrasts and juxtapositions place with intention are meant for the viewer to come to their own conclusion and feel that strong feeling of wanting to be there for the young girl and her case. 


Well, that’s it for now!! toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 Well... Here's my film opening, "Where'd She Go"!!!! YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/mjLsISQ4VSk Google Drive link:  http...