Tuesday, February 13, 2024

How will I incorporate pieces of the coming-of-age/drama/horror genres in my portfolio project?

 Hey Hey Hey!! Let’s begin pre-production of my portfolio project (I’m scared)!!


The genre I want to dive into, as I previously mentioned in my last blog post, is horror (with a mix of coming of age and drama). I really do enjoy the coming of age genre and the flicks under its wing such as, but not limited to, “The Princess Diaries,” “Easy A,” “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,” but want to mix in a bit of the thriller/horror genre such as “The Miracle Season.” Although “The Miracle Season” is based on a true story, and my project will be fictional, I feel inspired by some of the components of the way the emotions are driven and interpreted in the film. If you were waiting for me to speak on the horror, yes it would be present, but as in “The Miracle Season.” So audiences would see and feel a sense of nostalgia and then we would see a component that drastically changes the course of what we have seen and what we will see.


An element I love about coming-of-age/drama films is how in some cases we see an ethreal version of the person through what seems a scene dedicated to just them. I truly enjoy those medium and even close up shots where audiences can be literally and figuratively near the character, so much so that we feel that we know them. This proximity to the character even goes as far as causing some type of emotional attatchment from the audience, that if the case comes where something happens to them, they feel strong emotions kick in, towards their “beloved” character, whether it may be good or for bad. An example of this is the very iconic “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” tunnel scene that I will be attatching below.



Just as Emma Watson was able to contribute to the admiration of the character through her acting, and the creators of the film were able to use techniques to further enhance that feeling, I sense that my film would be greatly inspired by that concept as I would want to capture that vision and admiration towards my character in order for audiences to understand and grow empathy for the character that will sooner or later be affected.


As of the horror part of my film, it would come straight after this divine admiration concept, as more of a sudden plot twist and the reason why the film is being created. The scene would most likely take place in a police investugation unit surrounded with evidence about the young girl and the possible suspect. In order to follow through with this, the proper use and placement of mise-en-scene elements such as props would be needed, as well as sound effects or stings, if necessary. During this scene(s) I would wish that context would be the one explaining rather than dialogue, as I believe that the best horror films are those that let audiences figure what is going on themselevs. In order to complete this task I would truly have to emphasize and use props that speak for themselves, as well as sound effects or stings to further establish and settle the tone. An example of what I mean in terms of props and sound effects in horror films will be attatched below, even though we all may have an example at the top of our heads :)


These are the main two ideas from the genre(s) I want to mold my portfolio project into. With the research I have conducted as well as the puzzling of pieces together, I feel that I have gained a clearer understanding of what it is that I must add in to the mix I have coming in. I now know that I have to focus on camera shots and angles and arrange them in a way where audiences can feel close and connected to the character. The next thing I will have to work on is finding the proper props, placing them strategically, and finding the perfect sound effects for what I need and the placement of the stings.


I hope I didn’t bore ya! See you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 Well... Here's my film opening, "Where'd She Go"!!!! YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/mjLsISQ4VSk Google Drive link:  http...